Unable to be there to welcome the Cross? We’ll bring the festivities to you!
If for some reason you were unable to welcome the WYD Cross and Icon of Our Lady at Campo de Marte (São Paulo), don’t worry. We’ll describe the highlights of the festivities for you:
- The festivities began with musical presentations: singers Zé Vicente, Father Joãozinho and the “Cantores de Deus” group brought excitement and animation to those present.
- The Cardinal Archbishop of São Paulo, dom Odilo Pedro Scherer, addressed the multitude, expressing such unforgettable thoughts as: “Remember that, for us, the Cross is always the person of Jesus himself, the Son of God, who became man and died on the cross out of love for us, so that we could attain mercy, forgiveness and life. Remember also that Jesus delivered himself up to the Cross to redeem and restore man’s inheritance. The Cross reminds us of the greatest act of love, the sacrifice for those who are loved. Jesus Christ did this for all of us. And for this reason, with enormous faith, we sing: praise be to Him!”.
- Fathers Hevaldo, Fábio de Melo, Gleuson, Irala, Reginaldo Manzotti, Rinaldo and Juarez de Castro followed with musical presentations, after which Father Robson delivered the sermon. Let us recall the words of Father Fábio Melo: “I believe that here, today, we are calling upon Brazil to reflect upon everything we want to achieve. The fruits of this journey can be greatly beneficial to the Church in Brazil. To lead youth, mobilize young people and introduce them to Jesus in a very concrete way, making it possible to follow him, know him and love him. Above all, Jesus as a fascinating, enchanting human being. Jesus is human, Jesus is divine”.
- The event was marked by a variety of musical rhythms, including the Messenger (Olívia Ferreira, Márcio Pacheco and Banda Dom), rock (Rosas de Saron and Beatrix), electronic (DJs and Cristo Dance), forró (DDD), a popular northeastern rhythm, and much more.
- The festivities also involved masses, the confession tent, adoration chapel, live rosary and videos from World Youth Day (Madrid-2011).
- The WYD Cross and Icon were welcomed by approximately 100,000 persons, to the sound of “Emanuel”, the WYD hymn sung during Rome 2000. This Cross is the same one John Paul II presented to the young people who met with him in preparation for the WYD in 1984 (the Icon of Our Lady was introduced in 2003).
- During the Mass celebrated upon arrival of the symbols, Dom Odilo pronounced the following words to the multitude: “In this period of preparation for 2013, Jesus Missionary and Our Lady of the Visitation will travel to encounter youth from all parts of Brazil and the countries of Latin America. The period leading up to 2013 will be one of evangelization. A time for involving youth in the life of the Church, of transmitting the heritage of the faith to new generations”.
- At the end of the event, 20 young people from the Archdiocese of São Paulo carried the Cross and the Icon to the truck. This act brought to a close the 12-hour “Bote Fé” (Believe!) festivities that welcomed the WYD Cross to Brazil, but marked only the first step of this immense and magnificent journey.
“The Cross has come to us and now we must carry it with us throughout our lives” – dom Tarcísio Scaramussa, Auxiliary Bishop of São Paulo.